Today I learned some important things.
1. When J has to be at his ship at 6am, and isn’t coming back until Friday night, and we only have one car, I have to drive.
2. Getting to the ship is easy! Go through gate, turn left.
3. Getting back from the ship at 5:30am is NOT easy. Drive toward gate, run into cones, get redirected back to the middle of base, drive around Pearl Harbor for a long time, find that people won’t let you merge and get forced in yet another unknown direction.
4. Pearl Harbor has a tiny little “porter’s gate” that connects to Hickam Air Force Base.
5. Hickan AFB has housing on-base, which means that if you drive through the little gate, it looks like you’re leaving base and getting into housing, and might mistake the area for “home.”
6. Hickam AFB has lots of roads and at least one traffic circle and they don’t all have street signs.
7. The “Caution Explosive Area” of a base is apparently not off-limits. It’s entirely possible to drive into it, at any rate.
8. Airmen who are out jogging are good sources of information. They can usually direct you back to the main gate. This is more helpful than the Navy squadron PTing in the AFB in one huge group.
9. There are a LOT of planes on an AFB, and not all of them are in places you expect.
10. My house is about 3 blocks from the AFB main gate. Turns out in the middle of all this, I was almost home.
So that was my Adventure of the day. I have now seen more of Hickam than I have of Pearl Harbor. Fun stuff. I get to go back for J on Friday night and we’ll have the weekend, then he’ll be back on the ship from Monday to Friday next week. They have a lot of training since they’ve been in dry dock for a year and a half. Feel free to call me if you want to keep me company! ^_^
Leave a Reply